With the support of the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Level Personnel (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior) – (CAPES/BRA), in 2016 the International Symposium ‘Civilising Processes’ reaches it sixteenth edition with the expectation of guaranteeing the continuity of the academic debate regarding the theoretical formulations of Norbert Elias.
This event had its first edition in 1996, in the Faculty of Physical Education/FEF of the University of Campinas UNICAMP/SP-BRA which enjoyed the participation of Eric Dunning. In that moment, we began, in a systematic way, the divulgation and discussion of the ideas of Norbert Elias in Brazil. The event led to the involvement of other researchers who, since then, have become more systematically involved in the organization of the following editions of the symposium. The international symposium has so far taken place in seven other Brazilian universities: The Methodist University of Piracicaba: the Federal University of Paraná; the Paulista State University Júlio de Mesquita Filho; the Federal University of Paraíba; the Federal Technological University of Paraná; the Federal University of Pernambuco and the Federal University of Grande Dourados. Other editions of the event were organized outside Brazil by researchers from Argentina from the University of Buenos Aires, by researchers from the National University of Colombia in partnership with the Javeriana Pontifical University and by Mexican researchers from the Autonomous National University of Mexico.
In these different editions, the event enjoyed the participation of both Latin American and European researchers, making this symposium an important space of academic interchange and deepening the Eliasian contributions in relation to different areas of knowledge.
Between the 21st and 25th of November of 2016, we will have the pleasure of receiving them in the Federal University of Espírito Santo (UFES) – BRA. This edition of the symposium is organized around the following objectives:
• Foment the dialogue and debate between research developed by researchers and research groups, especial on the work of Norbert Elias:
• Constitute a space for the refinement of the theoretical and methodological dimensions of research, prioritizing different areas of knowledge;
• Contribute for the qualification of the scientific-academic production of researchers, professors, postgraduate students in activities of Scientific Initiation, specialisation students, Masters and PhD students;
• Establish and/or amplify the interinstitutional networks of cooperation in research at both the national and international levels;
• Strengthen the internationalization of the involved research groups and institutions, namely PPGE/UFES.
The general programme for the event can be accessed through the link: http://www.processocivilizador.ufes.br/programa%C3%A7%C3%A3o