- Emotion, Habitus and World War I – New Book by Helmut Kuzmics and Sabine Haring
- New PhD Studentship Opportunities at the University of Leicester
- Thomas Scheff: The Repression of Shame
- Special edition of Human Figurations journal
- Deadline Fast Approaching: Elias Collected Works Conference, Leicester, June 2014
- Jason Hughes: The dates have always been 20th–22nd June. That should still allow you to take your first two weeks of...
- Godfried van Benthem van den Bergh: To attend the conference I hired a house on the Frisian waters in the first two...
- Nettelmann, Lothar, Dr.: Bravo! Eine nicht zu unterschaetzende Leistung fuer die Wissenschaft.
- Heather: Thanks a lot for posting “Civilising processes: exhibition at Gasworks, London | Norbert Elias Foundation...
- Thomas Scheff: Sorry, John Deakins. I just came across your comment. Could you explain what you mean directly. I got...
Most Commented Posts
Should the “figurati” become “public intellectuals”?
CFP - Norbert Elias and the Civilizing of Laughter
Elias and Foucault's 'technologies of the self'
Concrete and Abstract: Elias, Cooley, Freud, and Goffman
- Should the “figurati” become “public intellectuals”?
Category Archives: Publications
Dear all, The editorial team for the forthcoming Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Social Theory is looking for contributors for a number of entries in the Social History section. The length required is indicated, and sadly there’s no fee involved. If you … Continue reading
Just published: Christopher Powell, Barbaric Civilization: A Critical Sociology of Genocide. (Montréal, Ithaca, and London: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2011) 368 pp. ISBN: 9780773538566. Why have the largest mass murders in human history taken place in the past hundred years? And … Continue reading
Civilization: Critical Concepts in Political Science Edited and with a new introduction by Brett Bowden (Routledge)
Forthcoming from Routledge, June 2009. Order it for your library! Especially since the end of the Cold War, the concept of ‘civilization’ has been frequently deployed by those who seek to describe and explain the world in which we live. … Continue reading
Here are the proceedings of a conference about Studien über die Deutschen held at the University of Bordeaux: Tristan Coignard, Hélène Leclerc (ed.), Norbert Elias, un “marginal établi”? Ancrages et réception d’une démarche singulière en sciences humaines in: Collection Individu … Continue reading
Kaven, Carsten: Die Durchsetzung der Reformpolitik in China. Analyse eines Ereignisses, Münster (LIT-Verlag), 2009, ISBN: 978-3-8258-1712-1, € 19,90 This book is inspired by Elias’ thinking although the title does not contain his name. Some of his concepts like “Machtbalance”, “Verflechtungszwang” … Continue reading
Kaven, Carsten: Sozialer Wandel und Macht. Die theoretischen Ansaetze von Max Weber, Norbert Elias und Michel Foucault im Vergleich, Muenster (Metropolis), 2006, ISBN: 978-3-89518-557-1 , € 36,80 This book deals with the relation of two concepts of social theory: power … Continue reading
New titles in the Collected Works of Norbert Elias series published by University College Dublin Press, in co-operation with the Norbert Elias Foundation: Elias with Eric Dunning, QUEST FOR EXCITEMENT, edited by Eric Dunning, 978-1-904558-43-9 60 Euro or £45 Elias … Continue reading
I’m delighted to inform you that my dissertation is now published in the VS-Verlag: Barzantny, Anke: Mentoring-Programme für Frauen. Maßnahmen zu Strukturveränderungen in der Wissenschaft? Eine figurationssoziologische Untersuchung zur akademischen Medizin. In this research project I employed Norbert Elias’ Established-Outsiders-Figuration … Continue reading
UCD PRESS COLLECTED WORKS OF ELIAS The Collected Works of Norbert Elias in English are available for direct order from the UCD Press website at 20% discount until 15 September 2008. Titles already available are: Vol. 1 Early Writings Vol. … Continue reading
Richard Kilminster. Norbert Elias: Post-philosophical Sociology, London, Routledge, October, 2007 [ISBN10: 0-415-43706-7]. Please recommend your library to purchase multiple copies. This book is a companion volume to my The Sociological Revolution: From The Enlightenment to the Global Age, London, Routledge … Continue reading